Throughout this new journey toward a minimalistic lifestyle, I’ve found myself reevaluating my online life. Like most people, I have several social media accounts and spend plenty of time on the internet, both on my phone and on my laptop. I’ve been trying to come up with ways to figure out how I can cut back on the time I spend on social media. Here are a few tips based on my own experimentation.
- Keep your phone out of sight while you’re working. I’ve found that I tend to randomly grab my phone if it’s sitting right next to me, so what I do now is put it somewhere behind me. Even if I hear that I’ve received a notification while I’m working, I’ll often ignore it for a while (unless it’s a phone call) because I would need to stand up every time. This helps me be more productive while I work.
- Turn off notifications that aren’t actually necessary. Obviously, I need to be informed when I receive a text message or phone call, but over the past few weeks I’ve gradually been turning off notifications. Even with phone calls and texts, I can set up my phone so only certain people can get through during certain parts of the day. Sometimes, I end up realizing that I actually needed something on, but even in that situation it helps to know for sure. Now, I no longer receive notifications when people like my posts. This way, I don’t open up an app and get distracted all over again.
- Unplug for an hour a day. Having my phone with me can be very distracting when I’m trying to spend time with other people or have some quiet time. Spending time on YouTube or Pinterest while I’m on my laptop can be too. Sometimes I’ll just leave my phone in another room while I’m cleaning or eating or spending time with my family. I’ve found that the more I do this, the less uneasy it makes me not to have my phone. And I often end up spending more than an hour unplugged!
- Go through all the apps on your phone, and delete anything that you never use. If it’s been a couple months since you even thought about a certain app, it might be time to get rid of it.
- Rearrange your apps to avoid distractions. If there is a certain app that always distracts you, move it to a new location and replace it with something more useful or just leave that space empty. This will shut off the impulse to open up an app and scroll every time you’re bored or happen to glance at your phone.
I hope you’ve found some of these tips helpful. If there are any changes you’ve made to improve your use of social media, please share those in the comments.